SNAPSHOTS-TOP.jpg

« CAMERA Students go on Annual Advocacy and Leadership Training Mission to Israel | Main | On Hezbollah, The Washington Post’s Conspicuous Omission »

June 26, 2013

LA Times and Passé Propaganda on 'Jenin Massacre'

The debunked Palestinian claim of a massacre of "hundreds" is so passé, but that doesn't deter Los Angeles Times entertainment writer John Horn. In April 2002, Palestinian spokespeople alleged that hundreds were killed in the so-called "Jenin massacre."

But as early as May 2002, Palestinian officials admitted that 50-some Palestinians, not hundreds, were killed. Commemorating eight years since the "Jenin Massacre," the official WAFA Palestinian news agency referred to the dozens (not hundreds) killed:

WAFA - Eight Years for Jenin Refugee Camp' Massacre.jpg

The Palestinian assessment that dozens, not hundreds, were killed in Jenin in April 2002 is consistent with the findings of the United Nations and human rights groups.

How is it then, that in a review today of the film "The Attack," John Horn writes that protagonist Amin

travels to the Palestinian territories, where he visits Jenin in the West Bank (a site where Palestinians say the Israeli Defense Forces massacred hundreds of civilians). . . . (Emphasis added)

The Los Angeles Times itself reported back in August 2002 that the United Nations report on Jenin:

. . . set to be released today, says that 52 Palestinian deaths were confirmed by April 18 and that as many as half may have been civilian. It calls the allegation that up to 500 were killed "a figure that has not been substantiated," the diplomats said. Israel has reported 23 soldiers killed in the battle.

The U.N. findings mirror those of Human Rights Watch.

Perhaps fictional Palestinians in the fictional film "The Attack" say that the Israeli army massacred hundreds, but Horn makes no attempt to distinguish fiction from fact. Stay tuned for news about a correction.

Posted by TS at June 26, 2013 05:42 AM

Comments

There was a great article last year documenting how the Media fell for the Palestinian lie about the massacre hoax in 2002.

http://hurryupharry.org/2012/04/14/ten-years-since-something-that-never-happened-a-learning-moment-for-the-guardian/

Ten Years Since Something That Never Happened: A Learning Moment for the Guardian
April 14th 2012

Posted by: Barry Meridian at June 26, 2013 09:23 AM

LA Times

Rescind the Rotten Review

By Tabitha Korol

"The Attack," was a double whammy. The film referred to a suicide bomber's attack on Tel Aviv citizens, killing adults and numerous children, but it surreptitiously delivered another attack on Israel when the author referenced the infamous Jenin "massacre" that never happened, which was exacerbated by another attack by John Horn, whose motivation was Israel bashing over truth.

Following Yasser Arafat's propaganda announcement of a massacre in Jenin, that he described as comparable to World War II's Nazi sieges of Leningrad (killing 800,000) and Stalingrad (killing 1.3 million , without even checking for truth, the BBC and The Guardian were the first to charge the IDF forces with horrendous carnage against the victimized Palestinians. This was gladly followed with condemnation of slaughter and butchery by other writers. London's Evening Standard called it genocide and more correspondents jumped on the lorry with fabrications of horrific crimes, rotting human corpses, killing fields, and mass graves. The international media were having their proverbial field day. It is a wonder that these journalists could pen their thoughts for all the time they spent rubbing their hands together in glee, for this was their great opportunity to demonize the Jewish state for all the world to see.

Contrastingly, The Washington Post's Molly Moore, also in Jenin, wrote that there was no sign of wanton execution. Newsday's Edward Gargan concurred that there was no evidence of crimes to warrant such accusations. The Boston Globe agreed and, after several conversations with residents, related the interview of Abdel Rahman Sa'adi, an Islamic Jihad grenade thrower, who admitted there was a massacre of Jews, but "not of us!" The official totals from Palestinian and Israeli sources confirmed between 52 and 54 Palestinians, mostly gunmen, and 23 IDF soldiers killed in the fighting.

Only one British paper, Rupert Murdoch's The Sun, reprimanded the rest of the British media for their blatant lies.

But it is in the Arabs' best interests to keep the tale alive even now, eleven years later, to reach the under-informed who never heard of 'the massacre that never happened." John Horn shamelessly dredged up this third attack without evidence of conscience, and the L.A. Times deserves condemnation for permitting the lies to continue. The less you support Israel and democracy, the more you collaborate with Islam and totalitarianism. Is that really what you want for your country?

Posted by: Tabitha Korol at July 28, 2013 11:16 PM

Guidelines for posting

This is a moderated blog. We will not post comments that include racism, bigotry, threats, or factually inaccurate material.

Post a comment




Remember Me?

(you may use HTML tags for style)