SNAPSHOTS-TOP.jpg

« Helen Thomas Dumped by Speakers Bureau -- There's Always Hamas | Main | At Reuters, One Knife Restored, Another Cropped »

June 07, 2010

Helen Thomas in 2002: "Who do I hate today?"

The contempt that Helen Thomas manifested in her recent statement about Jews going back to Europe really shouldn't come as a surprise.

In 2002 she gave a speech at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology where according to the New York Post, she told the audience "I censored myself for 50 years. ... Now I wake up and ask myself, 'Who do I hate today?'" (Dec. 31, 2002.)

Well, she sure answered that question now, didn't she?

Posted by dvz at June 7, 2010 12:11 AM

Comments

Wow! People need to learn the difference between words and the meaning of words put together in a sentence when spoken. Do you honestly think she was saying they should go back to [nazi] Germany? Do you seriously really think that? Because I didn't hear that and its blatantly obvious that that is not what she meant. Why is everyone playing stupid about this?

Posted by: Jim at June 7, 2010 12:43 AM

This is what the WAPO reports:

"Reached at home, Thomas, 89, said: 'I'm very sorry for my remarks. I think I crossed the line. I made a mistake.'"

She understands better than you do what she said was wrong.

Posted by: A Reader at June 7, 2010 12:52 AM

@jim
you're right, she didn't mention nazi germany. why should she have to? if what she didn't mean is 'blatantly obvious', i then expect that what she DID mean is equally so? tell me what she meant, tell everyone.
whatever she did mean, the comment is ludicrous coming from someone living in NORTH AMERICA, the site of the genocide of countless First Nations tribes and massive land grabs.

Posted by: rsty at June 7, 2010 01:21 AM

Jim,

You obviously have no idea what meaning the words "go back to Germany and Poland" and in the tone of voice she spoke.

I guess not being a jew you have no clue.

Posted by: oao at June 7, 2010 01:58 AM

Gee Jim when a person has a history of saying hateful things and says some more hateful words I take that at face value as in she means it. Why don't you? Are you always in a constant state of denial? On top of what she says she is raising money to fund the people that want to get rid of the Jews, got it. I know it's hard to digest, the people that accuse other people of hating are actually the people doing the hating, it's such a bizare thing to take in and believe but it's true, it's all about good and evil.

Posted by: jann at June 7, 2010 02:00 AM

Helen Thomas high school speech canceled over flap --- WTOPnews.com

A Washington DC local news station posted this story today (June 7).

Posted by: Ben N at June 7, 2010 07:01 AM

"I didn't hear that" - Posted by: Jim

Then you better have your hearing checked, Jim, since Thomas HERSELF is now backtracking & apologizing in a full damage control mode for her antisemitic attack.

Posted by: Karen Schell at June 7, 2010 09:15 AM

Not only is she a hateful person, but she is an ignorant one as well. Her comment that Jews in Israel should go back to Poland and Germany showed her ignorance about the fact that Jews have found refuge in Israel from Muslim countries from Iran, Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria, Morroco and everything in between. Similarly, many if not most of the Palestinians are ultimately migrants from neighboring countries (heck, Arafat was born in Egypt).

Posted by: David Simantob at June 7, 2010 11:47 AM

At least 800,000 of Israel's Jews are refugees from Arab countries from which they were expelled under the threat of death. Jews have always lived in Israel and hundreds of thousands migrated to Israel from around the world prior to 1948. Israel is a country that welcomes new immigrants similar to the USA and Austrailia and the UK.
Israel is the only country in the middle east where Palestinian Arabs enjoy full rights as citizens, voting, welfare, employment / unemployment, housing and healthcare.
What is obvious is that Helen Thomas has a problem with the Jews. A Jewish Problem." The Jews need to get out of Palestine." To her the Jews are to blame for all the ills of the Middle East. Typical old fashion bigotry. Nothing new. Gee, and to think that she is some sort of liberal icon of elevated thought.
And where should they go to? " to Germany and Poland" Thanks Helen. Are you and your parents getting back on the boat to Lebanon from which your family immigrated to the USA?

Posted by: Old Guy at June 7, 2010 09:51 PM

Guidelines for posting

This is a moderated blog. We will not post comments that include racism, bigotry, threats, or factually inaccurate material.